All work, no play…. This post isn’t about the reno, or the B&B. My cargo van, Daisy and I took a trip to Austin TX to visit family. Had a great time visiting my kids, but the true reason for the trip was to see the next generation (grandchildren).
The first leg was with my daughter Kimberley. We had “girls day” with Lilah.
Also watched her hunt eggs at school.
Next was to my son Sean’s house. It’s a beautiful house in a great country like setting. I loved the sounds, but what I love best is …
RYAN. Just look at that face. What a joy. Loved the cuddles but I really enjoyed watching him play. He has such an active mind.
I got home yesterday. This is what greeted me.
Also, weeds, lawn needs to be mowed, spring cleaning before tourist season, oh and the reno. Better get to work.
This kitchen is so small, it needs to be opened up. After all, no one wants to be secluded in the kitchen alone, not to mention, there isn’t lots of room for anyone else. The answer was to open it into the dining room. The wall has been reframed, and electrician called. I will also be removing the back door. It isn’t needed. That gives me room for a pantry and a fridge.
OMG The bathroom was ugly to begin with. From the nasty plastic behind the tub, to the brown faux wood on the bottom half, but at least, it had a new ceiling, and fresh flooring. The slum lords family, who live out of state, hired one of the previous owners friends. It was his job to get the house ready to sell. This friend also has rentals.
We started with the walls. The more we pealed back, the worse it got. There were four layers of moldy sheet rock and plaster. Evidently, when the bathroom above had a leak, (which was evidently often) the owner just slapped new sheet rock on top. Also the bathroom never had proper ventilation. We removed part of the (new) ceiling so that a ventilation system could be installed. I assumed that the new ceiling had been installed properly. Sadly, no. The friend (which I will call slum lord #2) just put new sheet rock on top of a layer of moldy lath and plaster and a layer of sheet rock. It had to stripped all the way back to the beams. Before it can be put back together, all the leaks from above need to be dealt with.
I’ve decided to replace the original door with a barn door. The inside swing just took up too much floor space. Now I’ll be able to put in a proper vanity. The door frame had to be altered. Because of this, I pealed back some of the new flooring. Guess what, more stinking mold. #2 had done the same to the floor as the ceiling. Just slapped new floor on old moldy flooring. The bathroom is now gutted. I originally planned to keep the bathtub, but decided to replace it. Now I have to deal with what is above.
Within a couple of days after the purchase of this house, the work began. The kitchen cabinets were so nasty, they had to go. I knew that the kitchen needed a total gut. Then I got the bright idea, why don’t I open it up into the dining room. I figured that there was probably a pipe to deal with along with some wiring. What I didn’t count on was that the wiring was knob and tube. That meant, call the electrician. I already planned to have the fuse panels updated, but this had to be dealt with first.
My design ideas amounts to extra work along with $$ but when it’s finished, I know it will be worth it. Stick with me to see the end result.
Thank you Colton Newton. Without your help, this wouldn’t be possible.
And there it is, knob and tube. Of course, this isn’t the only place I found it.
I can already see how this is going to open up the kitchen.
I closed escrow New Years Eve Day. Within a couple days, my nephew Colton and I started working on this house. After my last blog, I got several requests for more pics. This post will be a few before pictures just so that you can see what I bought. I will catch you up to where we are now, and where this journey takes us. These are pictures of the main floor only. I don’t even want to think about the upstairs apartment yet.
The house next door to my B&B has always been a problem. The owner lived on the main floor, and rented out the upper unit. He owned several other properties in town, basically he was a slum lord, also a hoarder. The property was always an eye sore. Because the rental was poorly maintained, the renters were always a problem. They entered next to my house. It was always an embarrassment to my B&B. There was a time that house was on my vision board, but as years passed I had changed my mind.
Last year the owner passed away. I was approached by his family asking me if I wanted to buy it. At first I told them no, but by the time they left, I convinced myself that I did. I was afraid that if anyone else bought it, and rented it as is, my problems would continue. I can’t tell you how many times I changed my mind until I actually signed the purchase agreement. My son and nephew kept convincing me that I couldn’t take a chance. Also, I own the house on the other side of my B&B. That gives me the whole end cap of this block.
The house needs so much work. Stay with me through my journey as I turn this eye sore into the beauty she truly is underneath.
Sunday in Rapid City was nasty, cold, so I decided to accomplish two tasks. First was to clean out my freezer, second was to use the rhubarb I had been saving. My dear friend (now past) gave me the best recipe for the preserves. Naturally the main ingredient is rhubarb. It also includes pineapple and walnuts. Thank you Lynn Mayer, I miss you.
It took me all day, but I ended up with 28 small jars and 18 large. I’ll serve some to my B&B guests, sell some in my (soon to be opened) store. Of course some will go to friends and family. I think it’s very tasty. I hope they do too. Safe travels and remember “Always book direct. ”